How long is a United States visa valid?

Danish travelers are advised to apply for an ESTA, which allows them to stay for a maximum of 90 days without a visa. An ESTA does not automatically entitle you to travel to the United States, and in theory you could be refused by a border guard in the United States if they believe that you do not meet the requirements of the ESTA.

If you want to stay longer than 90 days then you need to report to the US embassy and apply for a tourist visa.

You can stay in the United States for up to 180 days on a tourist visa. You must be aware that you will need to demonstrate that you have the necessary means to be able to reside in the United States during the period in which you intend to be in the United States.

This can be proven, for example, through hotel reservations, flights back to Denmark and a bank statement showing that you have the necessary funds to pay for your stay in the USA.

You are not allowed to work in the United States

If the US authorities suspect that you intend to work in the US to pay for your stay in the US, there is a risk of refusal. If you are traveling to the US with an ESTA, you run the risk of refusal as soon as you speak with border guards.

When arriving in the US with an ESTA, you will need to go through the ESTA machines where you will need to print your ESTA. Unfortunately, if you get an “X” on your ESTA you will have to go through a longer immigration line asking you what to do in the US, where to live and when to fly home. If you don’t get an ‘X’ it is usually much quicker to get through immigration.

If you are traveling to the US as a tourist and do not need to stay in the US for more than 90 days, then you should apply for an ESTA. If you are staying in the USA for a longer period of time, you must pass through the embassy in Copenhagen and apply for a tourist visa.